Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pure - Joy

A few months ago, I walked into a quilt store with the intention of buying some of the Bliss fabric line.  Instead, I walked out with Pure by Sweetwater.  I had also originally planned on making a quilt for myself with the fabric, but a great idea came along and so I offered up my fabric for the project.

A woman in my ward was just released as the Relief Society President due to her husband's terminal cancer.  She has had a great impact on my life and I wanted to make her something for two reasons: a) to show my appreciation for all she does for those of us in the neighborhood, and b) to give her something to wrap herself in during the really difficult days ahead.

Those that served with her in the Relief Society each wrote messages to her on hearts, which I then sewed onto the blocks I made.  The quilt was machine quilted by the lovely, talented Natalia.  Another girl in my neighborhood will sew on the binding and hopefully we will present it to our old RS President this weekend.  And hopefully everyone has kept it a secret so it will be a huge surprise!

 Not the best picture, since I'm in my office at work.  It doesn't show the whole quilt, but it gives you an idea.
Some of the quilting, view from the front of the quilt.

A view of one of the blocks

 Another block

The hearts all face different directions so she can read them no matter which way she has it around her.

 Quilting, view from the back of the quilt

Close up view of the quilting


I had 3 blocks leftover from the front, so I incorporated them into the back of the quilt.
I am loving this quilt!



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me quilt this Andria! I love reading the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving that quilt too! What a great thing you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, and very sweet story behind it. I had to read when I saw Natalia's teaser on her blog. I spent last summer making a signature quilt for a friend of mine with ovarian cancer - we were two of a group of 50 exchange students two decades ago, and I mailed out blocks to fellow alumni all over the world. We presented it to her at a reunion in August and she spent hours reading every word.

    She passed away under that quilt yesterday morning at 40 years old.

    I just wish that everyone going through something that difficult had a quilt made with such loving hands to make the journey more comforting. I want to spend more time in 2011 helping to that goal.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very precious thing to do. I simply love the colors in this quilt, the woman that gets this is going to be so overwhelmed with love and job from all of you. HUGS MARY

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift! I loved that you placed the hearts in different directions...never thought of that!

    My MIL is battling cancer (not terminal, and hopefully won't be!) and I have a quilt in the works for her to serve as a reminder of the victory I know she will win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely and thoughtful gift for your friend. I know it will give her hours of comfort, warmth and peace:) It is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a sweetheart!! And this quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments! I am so excited to give her the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful thing to do for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful gift to give your friend. This quilt is absolutely gorgeous and I love all the hearts on it too. What a special person you must be.

    ReplyDelete